Friday, September 16, 2011

Twitterville

This week's blog post is part of an assignment for Creative Communications.  Please note that every now and then I will sometimes be posting blogs about things that have happened in class.

When I looked at my Twitter account this past week I was really surprised.  I've had my account open since August 1, 2009.  That's quite a long time.  However, I only have 161 tweets at the moment.  I created my profile and let it sit around for a bit.  It wasn't until I had two friends who started tweeting like crazy that I finally got into it.  One is a second year CreComm student and the other is a social networking junkie.  They had their iPhones and Blackberries so it was pretty easy for them to keep the updates coming.  I only had (and still have) an old phone that isn't so smart.  I now have an iPod Touch which is great when I'm around the school though.  It's helped me keep in touch with everything in the news and my fellow classmates.





I love how Twitter really helps you feel like part of a community that I like to call "Twitterville."  I've never felt so connected to friends and classmates and I'm also up to date on everything I need to know.  For example, did you know that individual Winnipeg Jets tickets are only available to those who win them in a lottery?  Thanks to Twitter I found that out right away.

Most people who haven't tried Twitter don't like it because of the reputation that it has earned from a small percentage of users.  They believe that Twitter is all about people updating what's going on in their daily lives.  I agree, I wouldn't want to hear about someone eating a sandwich and how good it tasted, or if someone got their hair cut.


However, when Twitter is used in a professional matter it's a great tool to stay informed and connect with other people.  With a simple reTweet, your post will not only go to your followers, but the followers of the person who has reTweeted.  Isn't that powerful?  It's so easy to get your message out to the masses and so many new opportunities can come about when you just simply pursue them.  Twitter will only help each and ever CreComm student in their professional career.

I can't wait to see what it does for me.

2 comments:

  1. The more you use it, the more you'll see how it can help you professionally.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the new blog!

    ReplyDelete