Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Do you have Power Ranger gloves? I'd like to borrow them this Halloween

The Power Rangers was based off of a Japanese (who would have guessed?) series called Super Sentai.  It was created by Shotaro Ishinomori in 1975.  However, the show wasn't a huge success until the late 80's where it was aired in countries like Brazil and the U.S.A.

Saban Entertainment saw huge potential in the show and created an American version of it in 1993.  Thus, The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were created.  19 television seasons, 16 different series and 2 theatrical releases later the Power Rangers are still in full function.  The latest series, Power Rangers Samurai, debuted in February of this past year.

I remember Power Rangers as a staple from my childhood.  I'd only be able to watch it on the clearest days of the year since this was the only way our TV could pick up even a snowy version of FOX.

Looking back at some of these clips, I can' help but wonder if the Rangers were heroes or dancers.  Their moves are great, but I think the dance show they but on just after they morph could rival any contemporary dance program out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1UtsY0uZVk

(My apologies for not embedding this, youtube seems to be giving me some trouble)

This Halloween I'm going as a Red Power Ranger.  I picked up my costume this past week, and it comes with almost everything.  Helmet and a jacked up suit.  All I need are boots and some gloves.

I know for a fact that I had some Power Ranger toy gloves when I was a kid.  Well I didn't have it, they were my sisters, they were pink.  But I wore them.  But that's besides the point.

If you happen to have a pair of red ones, or know a place I could pick some up, let me know!  In the meantime though, feel free to comment and let me know some of your Power Ranger memories.

1 comment:

  1. I got white gloves for my 4th birthday because I had chicken pox and my parents didn't want me scratching myself with my fingernails. The best part? The fact that they made punching noises whenever I scratched myself.

    I wish I still had them. Although, I totally wouldn't lend them to anyone. :P

    ReplyDelete