Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Mobile Device: Then and Now

I really had to think hard about this topic.  It amazes me when I think about how far technology has come since the 90's.  One of the biggest changes had been the mobile phone.  In just a matter of years, the entire use of the phone was shifted thanks to companies like Apple and Blackberry.


I didn't receive my first cell phone until I was 16 years old.  That would have been in 2006.  However, the kind of phone I would have used in the 90's?

I legit had this exact same phone.  Mr. Dressup was getting fed up with my excessive calling.

Instead, I settled for toy phones.  I would lug it around by the cheap twine that came attached to the toy and call Mr. Dressup excessively.  He didn't return any of my calls though, so in return I'd throw the phone down the stairs, thinking that it would help.  After all, I'd watch TV and see that the best solution to fixing something was to give it a good smack.  TV not working?  Give it smack.  Fixed.  Computer? Smack. Fixed.

Toy phone only got more and more brittle.  I don't know where he's at now.

In reality this is what a cell phone from the 90's looked like:

A paper weight...errr.....cell phone from the 90's.
These bad boys started in the late 80's and continued into the 90's.  They...uhh...called people?  Hard to believe that people can still actually do that with phones today.  All of the fancy apps and gizmos have seemed to distract us from that fact.  

Now we have smaller and more powerful phones.  Phones that record voices, text, let you play games, surf the Internet (the InterWHAAAAA?!) have face to face conversations, catch up on the news, you can even close and open a virtual zipper on your phone!  If you're into that kind of thing...I won't judge you.

Close and open a virtual zipper, use it as a flashlight or just check your email...you know.
As I said, I have had a cell phone since I was 16.  I've never owned a smart phone, I've always had your basic call, text and SUPER SLOW Internet plan.  I think MTS should consider changing the plan name to that.  

It scares me to think that some children are getting these smartphones, or phones in general, at ages as young as 9 or 10.  What are these parents thinking!?  Your children don't need these phones at this age.  Texting and calling is not necessary when they're likely under the parent's supervision for a large part of the day.  Timmy doesn't need to call Mary to ask her out on a date at the age of nine.  Timmy won't be able to drive her anywhere for another 7 years.  

Regardless, mobile devices have helped improve our world.  Yes, some people rely on these devices, which is too bad, but when used in moderation it's one of the best tools to keep you informed and smart.  Just download the apps you need: news, sports, stocks, weather and anything else relevant.

And Zombie Highway.  Everyone's allowed at least one guilty pleasure.




1 comment:

  1. No blog post about smartphones is complete without a Zombie Highway reference.

    ReplyDelete